While at Johnson & Johnson, I implemented a method of CARE centered design. CARE stands for context, ambition, rigor and empathy.
I did this by leading research sessions with employees to find out what were pain points were, and building prototypes to facilitate new ways of employee communication, new service tools and help business partners. I also contributed to our internal design system.
Workshop Facilitation | Employee Intranet
To improve Johnson & Johnson’s employee intranet, I facilitated workshops with employees and business partners to discover pain points and validate needs among employees.
Some key takeaways were that employees want a central place for information and want search to be predictive.
We were able to implement ideas that came from our research sessions, however this is a long term project that will continue to need employee and business partner feedback.
Interactive Scenario Generator | Human Performance Institute (HPI)
I modfied Reframe, an MIT prototype to create an interactive experience for our HPI partners so that they could easily approach incident problem solving and build empathy for their clients.
I partnered with an insights and strategy team member (IXS) to gather scenarios and my IDEO Colab community who shared Reframe with me.
I worked in Google Chrome’s developer tools to modify the HTML and CSS and a Google Spreadsheet which worked as my database.
I transferred the code to Codepen and worked with another digital designer to adjust the JSON file.
I then shared it with my IXS colleague who tested it with our HPI partners. It was a success. The partners used it as a tool to think about and simulate experiences.
Future of Women's Health | Innovation Design Sprint
I co-created a cross-disciplinary design sprint process to facilitate new products and services for women’s health.
My team included a brand designer, an industrial designer, a brand strategist and a design strategist.
We defined sprint rules and rapidly created and tested physical, digital and paper prototypes.
We built them around “how might we” questions that came from research insights. We invited in co-workers, and friends to offer their perspectives and help us refine and create new ideas.
At the end of each sprint, we discussed our project learnings and shared them with members of our leadership team.
With shared knowledge and differing perspectives, we built strong ideas to share with the leadership teams of the business locations we are targeting.
Accessiblity & Inclusive Design | Studio Initative
I partnered with a fellow digital designer to make accessibility a part of our digital design process. We started by doing an audit of our current intranet portal and an external facing medical platform.
We led project meetings where we shared recommendations and examples that helped move these two projects towards Level AA status.
Since then, accessibility standards have been incorporated into our internal design system and plug-ins such as Stark are in our workflow.
Here is an example of Level AA guidelines in use on the new Johnson & Johnson Medical Device site. This page is using type that is 16px and higher. It has high color contrast and no type on the images.
AR Prototyping with Unity | CGI & Digital Experience Design Collaboration
I built AR prototype concepts that could be used in consumer services and by our medical device sales teams.
I worked closely with a CGI colleague to create high-fidelity renderings. First, I imported her .fbx files into Unity and then I used the Vuforia engine to create the prototypes.
Once we reached the fidelity that we were looking for, we shared a video of our progress with our teams as with the larger studio.
We showed how CGI and the Digital Experience Design team could work together to create new services that could support our medical device and consumer teams. Our hope is that more collaborations like this can occur.